Monday, April 24, 2017

Writing Advice, Quora


Q
How can I start writing a book, step-by-step?
https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-start-writing-a-book-step-by-step/answer/Hans-Georg-Lundahl


C on Q
Hi all,

I’d like to write a book. But I don’t know which point should I start. How can I make an outline to see which step should be done first, which step should be done next, and last? So that the book is not messy and cover all things that link to each other.

Feel free to recommend more tips!

Best.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
Writing? I've been doing that for some time.
Written just now
Quoting from Brian Dean:

“I try to know maybe ten events in the story before I write. That is, I know ten stops or locations on the path of the story. This means that when I start at the beginning and get stuck, I jump forward to the next known point and start writing there. Usually it doesn’t take long until I know what should go in that gap between sections.”


While I was more active on writing Chronicle of Susan Pevensie, I started out knowing four events, and wrote four chapters.

I then proceeded, naturally, not to write at the beginning and forward, but systematically filling in between sections.

Only sometimes writing forwards.

1 comment:

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

I am supposing the questioner by "book" means "novel", "romance", "detective story" or similar.

In the case of a book of fact or argument or opinion, it is a question of writing essay after essay or of dividing an overarching question into subquestions and writing chapter after chapter from that division one.